Larry DeWayne Hall has confessed he snatched Laurie Depies from the street in the town of Menasha, Wisconsin, murdered her and then hid her body.
The 48-year-old, already serving a life sentence kidnapping a 15-year-old girl in 1993, was interviewed in prison late last year.
Detectives are now searching for Miss Depies's body.
Police Chief Rod McCants said: 'There is no arrest, but we will continue as of today, following up on information he provided us to hopefully corroborate what he's telling us.
'Some of the details that Mr Hall was able to provide, I personally feel this is probably, hopefully putting us in the right direction now; a major break in the case.'
He refused to confirm the locations of the search but said that there were no physical evidence linking Hall to Miss Depies
'I hate to put time limits on investigations, but I'd like to think within three or six months we'll have additional information either corroborating his statement or eliminating him as a person of interest,' he added.
Police Lt. Mike Krueger said. 'I think from what Larry told us, out of all the other people we've interviewed over the years in this investigation, Larry seemed most credible with the information that he provided.'
'We can solve it with the crime lab, if we do ever come up with an exact location,' he said.
'(Lab investigators) felt pretty confident we would find some remains, whether it be bone fragments or something else.' Read More


