Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Gas prices jump at pumps in Ontario, Quebec: Canada

Gasoline prices at the pumps soared in parts of Ontario and Quebec early Tuesday, even as the price of crude oil was little changed.

Motorists were paying 6.5 cents a litre more in southern and eastern Ontario, the website tomorrowsgaspriceotoday.com reported.

A litre of regular gas in the Toronto area cost $1.39.6 early Tuesday, compared with 96.3 cents a year ago.

Dwight Archer was the only person filling up at a pump on Wellington Street West and Spadina Avenue at 6:30 a.m. He drives into the city from Milton to work a night shift at a downtown hotel.

"It hurts," he said. "It honestly hurts, it's painful, but like I said, what am I going to do? If I don't fill up, I don't drive to Toronto and I don't make money to feed my family. So it's something I have to do." (read more)